Saturday, February 9, 2013

White Eyelet Peplum Skirt Suit

Sept. 12, 2012 was day 2 of the Duke and Duchess' Asia tour.  Of particular interest to me was this white peplum number in broderie anglaise, which in American translation is eyelet.  The suit, from Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen* features a peplum top with Queen Anne neckline - that is, raised in the back of the neck and leading down to a v-neck - and a slightly full A-line skirt.  The top also has cuffed sleeves and is belted.
I'm taking the liberty of calling this a suit because well, in my opinion it is, but its a casual one both because of the fabric and silhouette.

I don't know officially what to call the label since it was identified both as Alexander McQueen and as a custom Sarah Burton piece, so is it Alexander McQueen, Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, Sarah Burton for the Duchess, I dunno.
All picture credit: StyleBistro.
Overall I think this was a great look.  The peplum and skirt really work wonders add shape to her linear figure and she still looks slim just not straight.  Also the fabric looked airy and fresh for the climate.  The v-neck is a tad low especially in some angles but with her less endowed proportions she mostly gets away with it.
Things I did not like: I really wished she had worn her hair up in a fun pony since it did have that high collar and also because of the heat, and I wish she had chosen other shoes since the sky high wedges looked a bit clunky.  With a pony and with different shoes she could've looked a lot "fresher".
Also in some angles it appeared that only the front of the bodice was lined and her bra was visible from the back; I really would expect a) such a high end garment to be fully lined front and back or b) Kate's handlers to get on the ball and pack her a slip.



A bit of a time finding an exact repliKate - maybe when spring rolls around we'll see more eyelet - but I did manage to find a white peplum dress.  Bonus: it is belted and has sleeves.

Liz Claiborne via J.C. Penney - belted peplum dress in white.

No comments:

Post a Comment